Mail Enabled Public Folder does not receive mails after migrating to Exch2010

Hi guys,
A client of mine contacted the other day with a strange error.
He created a mail enabled public folder on his newly installed Exchange 2010 server (a migration from 2003), added this folder to a distribution group, but when he sends mail to the distribution group it doesn’t appear on the public folder.
Users that were sending mails directly to that folder were receiving different NDR’s:
#554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:ObjectNotFoundException; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message The Active Directory user wasn’t found. ObjectNotFoundException: The Active Directory user wasn’t found. ##
#554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:ObjectNotFoundException.MapiExceptionNotFound; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Could not open folder. 
After doing a quite long research on the web, I found that the solution to my problem was simply to delete the old ‘Server’ container, found under the old Administrative group:
CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,
DC=yourdomain,DC=local
I’ve deleted this container, run an update of the public folder hierarchy and that solved my issue – of course I had to add the ‘Contributor’ permission to Anonymous user on that specific public folder.
Explanation
When you transition from an old Exchange server (2003) to a new installation (2007,2010), you usually do not remove the old Administrative Group found in the AD – and that is ok and usually the best way to go (unless you want to change the legacyExchangeDN on all users objects).
But Microsoft say that if infact you still have the ‘Server’ container found under the old Administrative Group, your Exchange server will presume that there are still objects found there, and that will interfere with Exchange’s work.
To work around this issue, simply remove this container and that will solve all your issues.
Exchange Team Blog has a pretty nice post about a similar issue (with the same solution) that can be found here.

Incoming search terms:

  • #554 5 2 0
  • #554 5 2 0 STOREDRV Deliver Exception:ObjectNotFoundException
  • STOREDRV Deliver Exception:AccessDeniedException MapiExceptionNotAuthorized
  • 554 5 2 0 storedrv deliver exception
  • exchange 2010 error 554 5 2 2
  • message to public folder not delivered public folder database unmount
  • ObjectNotFoundException MapiExceptionNotFound; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Could not open folder
  • smtp 554 5 2 0
  • STOREDRV Deliver Exception
  • STOREDRV Deliver Exception ObjectNotFound

2 Comments

  1. It fixed my issue, although the strange thing is we finished our migration in March and had all of the Exchange 2003 servers removed by May, yet this problem didn’t manifest itself until last week Thursday when I applied waiting updates. All of which were OS Security Updates and one Update Rollup for ForeFront, so I’m not sure why that would “trigger” this. Weird.

    Thanks!

  2. Yeah,
    You’re not the first to report that this happened after using the product for a while.

Leave a Reply to Matt Cancel reply