I’ve installed Orchestrator on a VM and patched it to Cumulative Update Rollup 2. all seem to be working well, but after a while I’ve noticed that after restarting the server, the service stops. Also, I found the following Error in the eventlog:
The Orchestrator Runbook Service service terminated with the following error:
Microsoft published a KB article called “The Orchestrator Runbook Service starts and then stops after 30-60 seconds” which describes exactly my problem. Microsoft state that the error occurs when the Orchestrator Runbook Service cannot communicate with its Database, which can happen for the following reasons:
- The service for the Microsoft SQL Server database instance is not running.
- The hostname for the Microsoft SQL Server database instance does not resolve correctly.
- An incorrect database instance has been configured.
- An incorrect TCP/IP port may have been configured in Orchestrator or in Microsoft SQL Server for the database instance.
- TCP/IP may not be configured as an acceptable binding or an alternative protocol binding may be configured as higher priority causing connections to work from some locations but not others (e.g. local versus remote).
- The user account provided does not have appropriate permissions to the Orchestrator database.
The also provide some resolution suggestions:
- Verify the Microsoft SQL Server database instance that hosts the Orchestrator database is running.
- Verify that the hostname for the Microsoft SQL Server instance is correct and resolves correctly in DNS.
- Verify that the correct Microsoft SQL Server instance is configured in System Center Orchestrator.
- Check that the TCP/IP port configured in Microsoft SQL Server for the instance that hosts the Orchestrator database matches the TCP/IP port defined in System Center Orchestrator.
- Check the protocol configuration for the Microsoft SQL Server instance that hosts the Orchestrator database to ensure communication via TCP/IP is the default protocol.
- Verify that the user account of the Orchestrator Runbook Service or the SQL User Account is a member of the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Runtime user role in the Orchestrator database.
In my case none of the above helped…
I then figured out a different solution – I have configured the server to ‘Automatic (Delayed Start)’.
I then restarted the server, and although it took the ‘Orchestrator Runbook Service’ a while to start, but once its started it stayed there 🙂