A client of mine complained about a machine that was missing a SCCM client. It showed up in the ‘All Systems’ collection and Client Push Installation was enabled, but the client failed the installation for some reason. When I looked in the CCMSETUP.log file I’ve noticed the above error:
MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi installation failed Error text: Exit Code 1601
Right in the same folder as CCMSETUP.log theres a log file called – MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log but when I opened it – it was empty.
At this point I decided to try install the MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi manualy so I ran the following command:
C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup>msiexec /i MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi /l*v C:\ MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log
The installation started and then failed and in the MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log file I noticed the following:
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x8007000E
Also, a pop window threw a message about the installer was unable to communicate with the ‘Windows Installer’ server. I opened the Services MMC and noticed that the ‘Windows Installer’ service was stuck:
There was no way of stopping it or doing anything to it, so I killed the ‘MsiExec.exe’ Process thru Task Manager and then the installation started running sucesfully.